I know I haven’t written in a while, but I’ve not been moved to write. This post will discuss some of the issues I had with upgrading four systems to (k)Ubuntu 7.10.
I had no issues on an older laptop (IBM Thinkpad X21). My new laptop, however, was blessed with different issues. One issue was that the X server tried to restart several times. I let it go ahead and start on :1 (in my case vt8, reached by ctrl-alt-F8). Other than that, the restart seemed to go well.
After getting the Dell 1505N up and running on Kubuntu 7.10, I noticed that firefox seemed to hang while loading pages. This didn’t occur on my desktop that I’d upgraded, and looked at plugins, eventually zeroing in on the flashplayer plugin. I used my post Configuring Ubuntu 64-bit on Dell E1505N (below). nspluginwrapper had been upgraded automatically. I removed the existing flashplayer from my .mozilla/plugins folder and exectued
nspluginwrapper -i install_flash_player_9_linux/libflashplayer.so
Everything seems OK for now.
On the desktop I use as a print server, I ran into xorg.conf issues when the nvidia drivers were loaded. I finally sussed out which old xorg.conf version worked as a default vesa driver and which was a good nvidia driver and named them xorg.conf.vesa and xorg.conf.nvidia. Part of the reason I need these files is that the KVM switch I use doesn’t pass proper monitor information to the PCs. Other than a bit of wrestling to get X to work, this upgrade went reasonably well.
The desktop that I use as a fileserver had different issues. It wouldn’t load the nvidia drivers because of a diversion issue (dpkg). I found a reply to this post (in Italian) which did the trick. The relevant part of the response was to issue the following commands
sudo dpkg-divert --remove /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1
sudo dpkg-divert --remove /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2
sudo dpkg-divert --remove /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libGLcore.so
These commands remove the diversion errors. The next step was to
sudo aptitude install nvidia-glx-new
and then a) copy this desktop’s xorg.conf.nvidia to xorg.conf, b) log out, c) use ctrl-alt-backspace to restart the Xserver. (I had the kernel modules already installed.)