I recently purchased a System 76 laptop (Lemur model). This laptop came with Ubuntu pre-installed in a single partition. After playing with it a bit, I did a clean install with Kubuntu (not crazy about Unity or Gnome 3) and partitioned the disk as I liked it. I switched from Evolution to kmail and was working OK with it.
After getting fed up with kmail (seemed to hang after being left alone a day or so, even less sometimes)and KDE, I decided to try out XFCE. My laptop’s maximum resolution is 1366×768, a mode not available on the desktop monitor. The monitor’s default (best) resolution is 1680×1050. I often ended up with a desktop clone on the laptop without being able to see the panel at the bottom of the KDE screen.
After moving to XFCE, I stumbled onto a neat shortcut — Cmd-P (Cmd is the Windows or Ubuntu key on the laptop). This brings up this dialog box
which simplifies moving from the desktop display back to the laptop only.
+1 for XFCE
I finally upgraded to WordPress 3.3.1. It took a while to convert my database from MySQL 4.x to MySQL 5.5, but I finally got it done.
Maybe I’ll post something of significance soon.
September 7th, 2009 by Tuxi
Well, I finally updated my WordPress to version 2.8.4. Anyone who noticed the site was down yesterday, that was part of the reason. The full reason was that I accidentally had several secure shell connections open at once trying to upgrade and was blacklisted for several hours. Fortunately LuxSci technical support was able to sort it out quickly.
I’m in the middle of upgrading my machines from 8.10 to 9.04. So far, I’ve run into two problems.
The first problem was that on my first machine to upgrade, I’d launch KDE (or Gnome) and the terminal windows didn’t have a prompt. Also, update-manager or synaptic would complain about pty(s). A google / ubuntuforums search led me to the solution. In the past, VirtualBox required a change in /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh. This is no longer the case, and that change was the source of the problem. The correction is to
sudo cp /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh.dpkg-dist /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh.
I did this before upgrading the second machine, and it worked fine.
The second problem was sound. Pulseaudio and Alsa didn’t seem to be working (after working briefly). First, I followed the instructions in this Ubuntuforums post. This sorted out sound in Gnome, but Amarok2 still didn’t work. Looking for phonon and my soundcard led me to install phonon-backend-xine and select it as my default backend. Now Amarok2 works .
I found out today that Sun has an alpha version of Java 1.6.0 64-bit for linux. Look here for Java SE 6 Update 12. I had been using IcedTea java and I disabled it before proceeding.
I downloaded the .bin file into my Download area and ran sudo ./jre-6u12-linux-x64.bin. This could have been done as a normal user. I then moved the jre1.6.0_12 folder to /opt/jre1.6.0_12. I looked through the files and tried what appeared to be the java plugin, but it didn’t work when I installed it in my ~/.mozilla/plugins folder. Searching the web led me to this post. After reading it, I did the following ln -s /opt/jre1.6.0_12/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/libnpjp2.so. This worked like a charm! .